At the heart of the Lion Academy Trust is the belief that access to an outstanding education is a right for all our children and young people. To achieve this goal, we have a consistent and continuous focus on developing and implementing outstanding educational practices. We continue to develop innovative and better ways to transform schools into centres of teaching and learning excellence and, as our results show, our robust, quality-driven approach has brought proven results.
The cornerstone of how we teach and how our pupils excel is what we call assessment proficiency, an approach derived from our own work and the thinking of a number of education academics.
This approach helps pupils develop the ability to understand what they have done well and what they now know, how their current learning links to previous learning, and what their next steps are. We see this as the smartest way to create highly engaged and increasingly independent learners.
Supported by our child-centred pedagogy, these learning behaviours then underpin a detailed sequential curriculum model. Through the shared application of Trust-led strategies for foundation subjects, pathways for the progression of learning and quality frameworks, the Trust ensures a framework for excellence in learning that is reflected in every setting, in every class, consistently across all our schools. This practice, expertise and proven outcomes over many years is encapsulated in The Lion Pathways Curriculum.
This curriculum is rooted firmly in our belief that education is the most empowering force in the world and a right for all children, whoever they are:
- We have used assessment proficiency – the commitment to ensure that all pupils know why they’re learning, how they’re doing and where they are heading – as a core design principle.
- There is a consistent, Trust-wide pedagogical model. Learning is delivered in the same way in every class and every setting.
- Instead of reinventing the wheel for each lesson, teachers can spend their precious time personalising the learning content for every pupil.
- We have mapped curriculum content through every half term right up to Year 6, so that teachers and leaders know precisely what pupils should be learning at every stage.
- Learning always goes deeper and broader than the National Curriculum. We know that a sense of aspiration and ambition in the classroom inspires independent learning and a readiness to move to the next level of education.
- Language is always important. To be confident, independent and assessment-proficient learners, our pupils need to be able to reflect on what they do and share their views with their peers and teachers.
- Every lesson has consistent features and activities that support children to engage with their learning and make rapid gains as a result.
- And – finally – because our pupils are assessment-proficient, we can have regular and meaningful discussions with them about their progress. Evaluation of the children’s ability to know more and do more is in our DNA.
How it works
The Lion Pathways Curriculum takes the principles of the National Curriculum and broadens and deepens the statements that underpin that set of subject descriptors and provides a brilliantly curated, sequential progression of learning across the core and foundation subjects.
By linking the learning from every stage and age in the primary phase in a graphical and coherent manner, the Lion Pathways Curriculum blends content-rich, subject-specific material with detailed lesson plans – all hosted online and readily available to be deployed or tweaked to meet your pupils' needs.